Hey everyone and welcome again to another Visible Image instalment!
When I saw the Ho! Ho! Ho! stamp from the new release it reminded me of a Christmas decoration we had when I was small. The Santa was a mobile with each element cut from card that was yellowing, torn and sellotaped back together and hung from the ceiling with cotton. I remember feeling quite sad the year it had to be thrown away as I loved putting it up and watching it twirl around.
The Ho! Ho! Ho! stamp though is incredibly similar and I knew instantly I had to have a go at replicating the decoration albeit on a much smaller scale.
After die-cutting an aperture out the card stock and the card blank, I added some sheet music from an old book (Verdi’s Requiem if you’re interested!) using Matt Gel Medium.
I wanted to add some words around the edges, so using the Christmas Backgrounds stamps, I stamped onto plain masking tape using a Versafine ink pad and then clear embossed over the top so I could colour it and not ruin the text.
Over the music and the stamped masking tape, I added the Inked Holly stamp using WOW!’s Metallic Gold embossing powder as I knew I was going to add a sprig of holly to the corner and this would bring it all together.
I coloured the background using Distress Spray Stains in Candied Apple, Picked Raspberry and Abandoned Coral and then added more gold embossing powder around the edge of the aperture and the card using WOW!’s Freestyle Tool.
I wish I’d remembered to take photos of me making the Santa but sometimes I just get ‘in the zone’ and switch off and forget so apologies!
Firstly, I’ve heat embossed the stamps onto water colour card using a grey opaque embossing powder and then trimmed them out. To add some texture to Santa, I’ve used a WOW! Embossing pen and their Sparkling Snow to add the fluffy edge and pom-pom to his hat and then to strips in his beard and moustache. Using watercolour pens, I’ve then added colour to the hat and greys to the beard leaving the glasses plain.
It is nice and easy to make, just a bit of patience required when adding the cotton to get it straight. To attach it, I’ve just used tape before adding the coloured card over the top.
The background, uses Distress Oxide Sprays and the Boot Print stencil on watercolour card. I’ve simply sprayed the card with Tumbled Glass, Hickory Smoke and Picket Fence before adding some shimmer spray. Now I think something went wrong somewhere in this process as after drying I used Crackle Paste to add the boots… however, once the paste had dried, it all fell off! So I added a layer of matt varnish to seal the colour and then used a grit paste to add the boots… which stayed perfectly!
To finish, I’ve heat embossed the Inked Holly sprigs and layered them onto the corner using foam tape.
Once you get going, it didn’t take too long to make and I’m going to try and make a few (smaller and possibly not as involved) versions for my Christmas cards this year!
So here are the new products I’ve used for the make…
I hope you’re enjoying all the inspiration from the design team… there has been some spectacular makes! As always, join in on the Visible Image Facebook group or follow them on Instagram. Don’t forget everything we make gets uploaded to good ol’ Pinterest too!
See you next time… H x