After walking the pupsters this morning I headed into the craft room to have a play. I was meant to be tidying it up but pffffft! Why tidy when you can get messy! I decided to make a canvas for Craft Stamper’s May Challenge and here it is…
There are so many layers to it and it took me quite a few hours, mainly because I procrastinate way too much! The canvas already had a pinky/purple wash on it so I gave it a quick coat of Gesso, added some strips of tissue paper with text on before adding fresh colour.
I used a brayer to add a soft orange and a mid-tone pink and then added some white in the middle to lighten it slightly before splattering on some white Gesso for texture.
To contrast with the warm hues, I’ve heat embossed on Wow’s! gorgeous Primary Bluetiful Embossing Powder after just wiping a Versamark Watermark stamp pad on the top left corner and the bottom. I heat embossed it twice and rubbed away the areas I didn’t want the colour. Then, while it was still warm, I used a pointy tool to scratch away some of the colour to reveal the pink/orange below the surface.
After rummaging in my various (rather large) boxes of stamps I found an old Kaisercraft stamp with a butterfly and the numbers ’36’ on which I stamped in various areas. I particularly love the little swirl on the end of the stamp as it echos the butterfly antenna which I have to admit was a happy coincidence!
While rummaging, I also found (another Kaisercraft stamp I think?!) which was teeny tiny polka dots which I’ve added using a gorgeous teal colour acrylic paint. Using a dry brush, I’ve then added DecoArt’s Rose Gold acrylic from their Dazzling metallics range and this gives a beautiful warm sheen.
The white dots come courtesy of Visible Image’s Two Tone stencil and I lightly marked where the the MDF butterfly would sit so I could stencil the dots around the butterfly.
The MDF butterfly was painted in a teal colour acrylic and once dry I added DecoArt’s Crackle Paste. I had intended to leave it white but it looked bare so I’ve wiped on Prima’s Metallique was in White Gold for warmth.
For the butterfly wings, I’ve used Wow’s strawberry Sundae embossing powder with Visible Image’s Count Me In stencil on Crafter’s Companion Vellem (fabulously thick!) and added white Posca pen to grunge up the numbers. This was then glued to the back of the butterfly. I’ve twisted some copper wire to make the antenna and adhered them in place before securing the butterfly over some cheesecloth which I spritzed using Mermaid Lagoon Distress Oxide spray.
I kept the text simple and used the wording from Visible Image’s Wings of Change. ‘Transform’ is heat embossed onto acetate before adhering to Vellum and gluing in place.
‘Metamorphosis’ was stamped onto tissue paper before being secured to the canvas using matt gel medium. To finish the canvas, I used a palette knife to add some crackle glaze just for some extra texture and a slight gloss.
And there you have it! I rather love this canvas and might actually pop this one up in my craft room.
Catch you again soon… H x