Hope you’re all having a lovely week and dodging the odd snow/rain/sleet showers we’ve been having, all been very odd lately!
Despite running around like a headless chicken all week, I’ve managed to spend some snippets of time in the craft room to decorate a Tim Holtz Mini-Clipboard using wooden shapes from Things to Alter. I’m a newbie to this store but I’m so impressed with the quality of the products and the speed in which they arrived. If you’re a fan of up cycling or altering things you need to pop in and have a nosy-you won’t be disappointed.
I actually began with a plan for this make, which is quite unusual for me as I normally just go with the flow. The wooden shaped were painted in various acrylics and sponged over in copper, gold or a silver to add sheen.
Once dry, I layered the wooden cogs to metal cogs from docrafts and joined them together using floristry wire. I love the sort of soft-industrial feel this gives the cogs, if you get me?!
Firstly I removed the metal clip at the to and lightly sponged acrylic paint over it. The edges were then given a hint of glamour with the same metallics as used on the cogs. The wooden film frame didn’t escape the distressing and was given a coat of black acrylic before sponging on copper and gold. The strip of text paper used to back the frame has been stencilled and inked before having a light spritz of gold ink.
I wanted the clipboard to have a crackled effect background that I could then distress and add stencils and ink too so I painted it a dark green. Once fully dried a layer of PVA glue was added and when this was tacky, another layer of acrylic was added in a light sage green with the odd brush of silver. As I’m a bit impatient when it comes to things drying, I used the heat gun to gently start the crackling process but do be careful not to overheat as the glue will bubble and burn.
Using stencils from Tim Holtz, I’ve added contrasting colours and a good spritz of gold ink to add to the silver sheen in the background and when fully dry, clear varnish has been brushed over to protect the clipboard.
The final part of the make was to attach the wooden shaped and add a sentiment. The metal top had a cork butterfly added that had been altered and layered with a smaller butterfly using 3D foam dots. Floristry wire was threaded with small gold glass beads and wrapped around the hook to give that some interest. Finally, an altered resin flower was secured to off-balance the look.
And here’s the final make…
Thanks for looking everyone.